LOCATION: 1805 N Perry Rd, Carrollton, Dallas, Texas between Sherwood Drive and McKamy. Some death certificates refer to the site as Union Cemetery. Located adjacent to Hilltop Memorial Park Cemetery, it is an active, fully fenced cemetery with a historical marker and sign. It is cared for by the Perry Cemetery Association (the City of Carrolton web site has a Walking Tour of the cemetery available) – View on Google Maps.
GPS: 32.9639, -96.897
In 1948 Willie Flowers Carlisle listed five burials in Old Cemeteries of Dallas County. Local History and Genealogical Society (now the Dallas Genealogical Society) surveyed the cemetery in 1972 and published it in The Quarterly September 1972, Vol. 18, No. 3, pgs 133-142. DGS volunteers surveyed the cemetery again in March 1979 and July 1982. The survey was published in Dallas County, Texas: Genealogical Data from Early Cemeteries, Vol. 1, pgs 25-50, Rubyann Thompson Darnell, Adrienne Bird Jamieson, and Helen Mason Lu (editors).
The cemetery was re-surveyed in 2012 by Barbara Ware. Lot, row and grave locations were assigned in this survey based the lot numbers from the Perry Cemetery TXGenWeb site. Rows are numbered from front to back and tombstones from left to right. Additional information can be found on the TXGenWeb site for the Perry Cemetery. The cemetery was re-surveyed in 2012 by Barbara Ware. Lot, row and grave locations were assigned in this survey based on the lot numbers from the Perry Cemetery TXGenWeb site. Rows are numbered from front to back and tombstones from left to right. Additional information can be found on the TXGenWeb site for the Perry Cemetery.
Perry Cemetery Layout
Texas Historical Commission Marker (1976): “The Perry Cemetery. This cemetery opened with the burial of Sarah Huffman (Mrs. A. W.) Perry in 1896. Nearby was the Union Baptist Church, which stood on land given by A. W. Perry. On Feb. 18, 1897, he deeded land for this cemetery — the first burial ground associated with the town of Carrollton. After it opened, a few burials were brought from private sites and reinterred here. The Union Church land was added to the cemetery about 1911, after the church moved away. The Rev. John M. Myers, a son of Union’s founding pastor, is buried here with his wife. Most of the 482 graves are for pioneer families.”